How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get

October 5th, 2009 by Christian Rudder

Welcome back, dorks. We’ve processed the messaging habits of over a million people and are about to basically prove that, despite what you might’ve heard from the Obama campaign and organic cereal commercials, racism is alive and well. It would be awesome if other big websites would go out on a limb and release their own race data, too. I can’t imagine they will: multi-million dollar enterprises rarely like to admit that the people generating those millions act like turds. But being poor gives us a certain freedom. To alienate all our users. So there.

When I first started looking at first-contact attempts and who was writing who back, it was immediately obvious that the sender’s race was a huge factor. Here are just a handful of the numbers that illustrate that:

First of all, how do we know that race shouldn’t matter? Are we just making some after-school-special assumption that “true love is colorblind?” more compatibility usually
means more replies
No, we’re not: we know race shouldn’t matter to replies because the races all match each other more or less evenly, and reply rate correlates to matching. That is, more compatibility generally means more replies.

On OkCupid you create your own unique matching system, and that means your better matches are people you actually want talk to. Below is a graph showing match percentages vs. reply rates for a random sample of 500,000 people.As you can see, in general, the better you match someone, the more likely you are to reply to a first message from them.

We can see this principle in action when we look at our trusty control, the Zodiac. Here are the match and reply rates side-by-side, with similar rates colored yellow. There’s no real need to inspect the numbers; just observe the similar colors.

• Throughout this post, yellowish colors are short-hand for “neutral” and red and green indicate “strong preference.”

People of the various Zodiac signs match each other all at roughly the average rate, and, as we would expect, they reply to messages similarly. In general, the correlation between match percentage and reply rate means that whenever we compare the match/reply charts for a given breakdown of the population, they should look about the same. However, this, like so many other fine assumptions, totally breaks down when race gets involved:

Again, don’t bother squinting, just check out the colors. We’ll soon look very closely at these tables.

So here’s last week’s compatibility by race table (I explained how we can confidently measure “compatibility” in that post). This is a blow-up of the leftmost table above:

As you can see, the races all match each other roughly evenly: good news. It means all other things being equal, two people, of whatever race, should have the same chance to have a successful relationshp. But now let’s look at the table of how individuals actually reply to each other’s messages. First we’ll examine messages sent by men to women (I know our gay readers are interested in same-sex versions of these tables, there’s a link to them here and at the end of this post):

The numbers on the perimeter of the table are the weighted average rates for each column/row. Here’s what we can know:

• Black women write back the most. Whether it’s due to talkativeness, loneliness, or a sense of plain decency, black women are by far the most likely to respond to a first contact attempt. In many cases, their response rate is one and a half times the average, and, overall, black women reply about a quarter more often that other women.
  • White men get more responses. Whatever it is, white males just get more replies from almost every group. We were careful to preselect our data pool so that physical attractiveness (as measured by our site picture-rating utility) was roughly even across all the race/gender slices. For guys, we did likewise with height.
  • White women prefer white men to the exclusion of everyone else—and Asian and Hispanic women prefer them even more exclusively. These three types of women only respond well to white men. More significantly, these groups’ reply rates to non-whites is terrible. Asian women write back non-white males at 21.9%, Hispanic women at 22.9%, and white women at 23.0%. It’s here where things get interesting, for white women in particular. If you look at the match-by-race table before this one, the “should-look-like” one, you see that white women have an above-average compatibility with almost every group. Yet they only reply well to guys who look like them. There’s more data on this towards the end of the post.

Let’s see what happens when it’s the women writing the messages to men.

• Men don’t write black women back. Or rather, they write them back far less often than they should. Black women reply the most, yet get by far the fewest replies. Essentially every race—including other blacks—singles them out for the cold shoulder.
  • White guys respond less overall. The average reply rate of non-white males is 48.1%, while white guys’ is only 40.5%. Basically, they write back about 20% less often. It’s ironic that white guys are worst responders, because as we saw above they in turn get the most replies. That has apparently made them very self-absorbed.

Finally, here are a couple tables that shed further light on our discussion. These are site-wide answers to a couple user-written match questions. They barely need any explanation: one comments on the other, really. Together they shed more light on the theory/practice schizophrenia of people’s racial attitudes.

It’s surely not just OkCupid users that are like this. In fact, it’s any dating site (and indeed any collection of people) would likely exhibit messaging biases similar to what I’ve written up. Any dating site probably
has these biases
According to our internal metrics, at least, OkCupid’s users are better-educated, younger, and far more progressive than the norm, so I can imagine that many sites would actually have worse race stats. But like I said at the beginning, we’ll probably never know. See you next week.

(Addendum to original post)

Same-Sex Data for Race vs. Reply Rates

As promised, here are the same-sex versions of last week’s charts and tables. In general, they show that straights and gays share many of the same inclinations, but the prejudices of the latter are perhaps a bit less pronounced. I should say at the top that some of the sample sizes for the various race/gender slices presented here are rather small (for instance, OkCupid doesn’t have many lesbians of Indian descent), and that accounts, I think, for some of the scatter-shot nature of the color tables. Race preferences are not nearly as stark here as they are with the heterosexual data.

See for yourself:

Still, there are a few conclusions we can draw:

• Blacks get fewer responses. We saw this with the straight data, too, and here it’s true of both gay and lesbian senders. Black gay men get over 20% fewer responses than non-blacks, which is about how straight black men fared. Black women, on the other hand, do relatively much better with gays than straights. While they’re still the least replied-to group, the discrepancy is much smaller in the lesbian community.
  • Whites respond by far the least to anyone.. Both white lesbians and white gay men write the fewest replies. In fact, across the two charts, whites respond about 15% less often than non-whites, and white gay men show a marked preference for other whites. On the other hand, gay white women don’t have the segregationist tendencies of their straight counterparts; they just dis everyone. Whereas last week we saw that straight white women strongly preferred other whites to the exclusion of other groups, lesbian whites respond to all 9 racial groups roughly evenly, and, in general, the lesbian community seems relatively colorblind. Only Indian lesbians receive a response rate far off the average, and as I said above, the sample size there is limited and the results might be skewed by chance.
  • Asian lesbians are in demand, and they’re picky about other races. Gay Asian females are replied to the most, and, among the well-represented groups, they have the most defined racial preferences: they respond very well to other Asians, Whites, Native Americans, and Middle Easterners, but very poorly to the other groups. Latin women also express a clear preference, for Whites and Asians.
  • Men prefer Middle Easterners. Gay men and straight men both respond best to Middle Easterners, and the preference is quite dramatic. I’d be interested to hear any theories why this is so.

As we did last week, we can see that all groups think, theoretically, that interracial relationships are acceptable, yet again whites are the least willing to have such a relationship themselves. This time it’s the men, not the women, who prefer most to keep to their own: it’s interesting that both in reply patterns and in their answers to these two match questions, the behavior of white straight women and white gay men are so closely parallel.

To our friends in the gay and lesbian communities: thanks for being patient and waiting for this data. We will do gay-centric articles in the future, I promise. Lately, since we’ve been dealing with complex and data-intensive subjects like race and reply rates, we’ve had to restrict ourselves to straight data in the primary post. We felt that adding a discussion of gay and lesbian trends alongside straight ones would triple the length of an already long and dense post and surely more than triple reader confusion. We will keep looking for ways to present the information you rightly expect; for now, it will be in addenda such as this one.

1,557 Responses to “How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get”

1. Travis says:

And now I feel even more guilty for being a white guy…..man we suck.

2. Deena says:

I don’t need this OKC assessment and all the charts or anything else to remind me that race issues are alive and well, here on OKC, on most social networks, and in real life. Certainly not as overt or blatant as it used to be, but still – alive and well. Progress?

3. joe_stummer67 says:

Look, listen, let this idea sink in a little even…

race fears/preferences are merely a sign of fear and/or insecurity, natural survival stuff, but a sign of weakness nevertheless. whether it’s racism on a personal level or the one that gets us into wars. If someone is truly secure in their own identity and also has a desire to live a good life, or has value for a moral structure of some kind, skin color and cultural variance can be seen more as beautiful adventures into life! Just as so many Chicagoans get into ethnic foods, we could look at people who are different as something to explore, maybe it’ll be awesome, maybe it’ll suck. But you never know till you give it a try.

I’ve traveled the world, faced racism and ethnic prejudice here and elsewhere as someone who looks pretty white (though I’ve actually been called nigger right here in Chicago… Jefferson Park, 1990′s) and I think… people are people. It’s the quality of character that makes me happy to know someone and avoid another, not the melanin content of their skin. And it’s one’s internal happiness and contentment, that’s all.

Or it’s like Colbert says, “I don’t see color, I know I’m white cuz people tell me I’m white. And I believe em.”

4. blkgirl says:

so it is true…I get mostly white guys that write me on every site…but most sites that have a mixture of people do have mostly white men than other races…that’s just how it is…no we arent coming here looking for white guys…what a stupid statement chris….But I was surprised I thought I was one of the very few blk women to respond to almost all people.Personally to me its giving people a chance and not judging a book by its cover….some white guys though its true about the facts very true…you think its going good and one day you just stop getting a message and you think ok I guess he was just lonely and wanted someone to talk to….so to me concerning my race this is very true.

5. xTheRightGuy4Ux says:

Well I guess stats don’t lie but I find it annoying that my race plays THAT much of a factor in my replies.

If you think about it, that would mean that everyone on this site is racist to a degree. People, it’s 2011, LET IT GO ALREADY! A person is a person.

The irony in all this is that those people who you normally turn down in your messages because of their looks and not personality, are usually the ones who would love you best, not your average Tony Stark types.

6. Drew says:

I just find it funny that Asian women would prefer to date outside of their race…and that usually means white-boy does that suck for them–they’re lost!!

7. whozis says:

Remember the lyrics: “The ink is black, the page is white” – what does that MEAN??

8. Molly Brazen says:

“OkCupid’s users are better-educated, younger, and far more progressive than the norm, so I can imagine that many sites would actually have worse race stats.”

Whatever dude. Everyone knows that “progressives” are the biggest racists of all. That’s why they are progressives. They think calling other people “racists” absolves them of their innate racism.

In their marrying and migration habits, progressives are indistinguishable from the KKK.

9. Autorene says:

This is so true!

I am a black female (an attractive black female) and I get no responses. And when I do, I feel like I talk soooooooo much and the other person is just like… ‘okay..’

LOL, I don’t know!

10. justbrowsing says:

i find it ironic that people say it’s not a bad idea to date outside of their race, but when it comes to them marrying someone outside of their race, then the answer quickly changes. i’m an an asian man married to a white woman. i honestly don’t think about her race and she doesn’t think about mine.

also, regarding asian women wanting to date white men… i have two theories:
    1. they come to OKC to look for white men because it’s easier for them to find datable white men. maybe they usually hangout with asians and need a place to find white men.

2. when was the last time you’ve seen american media portray an asian man in a positive or a sexy way? never. asian men are usually nerdy doctors or wife-beating gangsters who get beat up by the cool, kind-hearted white cops.

ever watch the movie last samurai? tom cruise kills the japanese woman’s husband and still almost gets it on with her.

…just saying.

11. drewpal says:

Tunnel vision. That’s what Chris has. The fact that he says the site is in America should put that to rest. Chris, the server may be, the site is not.
    I’m black. But more importantly (at least for me), African. The only reason I joined this site was because I wanted to join a dating site. The first thing I did on the ‘match search’ was set the distance to 500km from where I live. I would do the same if I was in Japan or Pasedena, Texas. Reason being, I do eventually want to find a ‘live’ date, thus making all those white women in okcupid totally irrelevant to me.
    I want to (and do) chat up women in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda with whom there is a real chance of a meet. Now, if one of them just happens to be Chinese and in Nairobi, or White and in Kigali, she’s fair game too. But I’m definitely looking for an African albeit using a dating site with servers in the US.
    Jinga wewe!

12. Larry says:

If you mention the word “sorry” in your 1st message, wouldn’t women think you have low self esteem?

13. elle says:

not replying to a certain race doesn’t mean you’re racist, maybe you just don’t find that particular race attractive? i know you’re meant to give everyone a chance but you have to find a partner attractive in some way. i’m a white girl and i prefer mixed race guys, that doesn’t make me racist towards white people does it?

14. Arvin says:

About Asian women craving for white men it`s very true indeed and here in the UK you see those rich (40-60) guys having no problem at all dating much younger Asians … and i`m not being offensive but I really noticed based on my experience that Asian women are more “materialistic/money-conscious” than women of other races … but there are exceptions of course and i`ve met really amazing Asian women!!!! :)

15. Larry2 says:

Seems like the big takeaways are:

- Black & Indian males seem to do least well, at least in the initial “messaging” phase
    - Black & white females seem to do least well (relative to other women)
    - White males & females like to stick to their own kind, but even they are evenly split (strongly preferring “their own race”)

Am sure there’s a huge geo difference. If you’re in a forward-looking major metropolitan area, these factors are probably irrelevant.

Bet, 10 years from now, these types of questions will be totally meaningless.

16. Stephanie says:

I’m Asian and “other.” In the few months of actively being on the site, I’ve been primarily messaged by white men-maybe twenty+ , maybe two latinos, and two blacks. Wouldn’t that just reflect ethnic population representation a bit more?

And did I respond back? If I found the person attractive overall, they weren’t writing in netspeak, and actually asked questions about me but that’s for another trend blog I s’pose.

17. Redrum says:

Well, thats pretty normal. Whites look better.

18. Informativeinfo says:

Black women send most messages? And get the least? We must change this! As a black woman I say we must change this! :]

19. Jake says:

Who cares about any of this? We’re on a dating site to meet people, not to participate in some social experiment.

20. Jake says:

Who cares about any of this? We’re on a dating site to meet people, not to participate in some social experiment!

21. Kelly says:

Sex between white men and black women has been going on for more than 500 years, with white men around the world raping, coercing and having consensual sex with women of African descent, creating mixed races of people internationally. To wit, African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Afro-Brazilians, etc. (Even Thomas Jefferson was in on the action, conceiving a grip of kids with his slave. Hell, even Strom Thurmond did it.) And for the first 450 years of this black-white sexcapade, the vast majority of white men were saying black women were disgusting, dumb, lazy apes.

At the end of slavery, they also predicted, that black marriage and family life were doomed, saying blacks couldn’t compete with whites. “After emancipation, the Negro will enter into direct competition with the whites, and, because of the superiority of the latter, will be pushed into that ‘lower stratum.’ ‘The consequence is inevitable. He will either never marry, or he will, in the attempt to support a family, struggle in vain against the laws of nature,’” says “The Black Image in the White Mind,” an intellectual history of racism written by late Stanford University historian George Frederickson. (This passage is on page 159. You can read it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Image-White-Mind-Afro-American/dp/0819561886 )

Our forefathers were sick bastards in ways that it’s really hard for me to fathom. I don’t know whether they fabricated racist stereotypes of black women because their puritanical upbringing taught them their sexual desires were wrong. But I do know this: so much of what we think about black women — indeed black people — has been ingrained in us for centuries by liars and hypocrites.

It’s refreshing to see people rejecting this vicious nonsense and thinking for themselves. But data like this and the viciousness of some of the comments here show that we still have a long way to go. The good news is that if you’re still stuck in 18th century thinking, it’s possible for you to change. Even George Wallace did.

The first step is to recognize that you’re part of a long, now discredited tradition of dehumanizing black people. Then you need to sit down and have a talk with yourself, asking yourself why you’re so committed to believing in and perpetuating it. Why do you want black women to be outcasts? It’s an abomination that our forefathers committed so many crimes against humanity and then tried to clean up the crime scene with lies and alibis. But the worse abomination is that so many of their children are still engaged in the cover up.

22. Cyril says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    As one of the arrogant white men
    As this page all but blattently states I have something that i did not see covered that may facinate people to consider for the origin of this “racism”. One word. media.
    tell me what race do you see in confident and sucessful positions in photos in magazines, roles in videoflicks etc etc etc why because white people hate imagining a bad position for ourselves it is much harder to sell us a story where we associate ourselves with failure. But with most other races what motivates movement is the feeling of repression resistance a black man who sees another chained black man becomes irritable and seeks to cast such images from his mind by drawing the other out of the chains while a white man looks for the one who put him there. neither is good neither is bad but as long as we have a market driven society there will always be an unconscious support of racism

23. Vasha says:

There are several elements
    Status
    perception
    availability
    Social values
    If one would look at “blk” values is choosing a mate prior to b;l power one would see a predominance of light skinned choices.
    In many countries light skin means statue(not a farmer)

24. David says:

I think this study is confusing racism with prejudice. While most people know that race shouldn’t play a role in things we still do prejudge things in everything we do.

25. clementini says:

I think often times race is confused with culture. I have no problem with race, but honestly life is hard enough with someone who was raised in the same culture, let alone learning a whole new system of life. I’m a white woman from the midwest and was married to a muslim from Bangladesh…wasn’t the color of his skin that was our problem, I assure you.

26. guilty? says:

liberal white people can’t handle this stuff lol (they feel guilty all the time)

27. STU says:

Chris what a self loathing little RACIST you are.

28. europeanguy says:

People tend to reply on dating sites only when they’re somewhat interested in someone, and most people are attracted mostly to members of their own race. I see nothing strange, surprising, or disturbing about that.

What’s disturbing is that the PC-fad has gone so far that people are now trying to make others (white people, specifically) feel guilty about their sexual preferences.

29. Alex says:

I’m white I’m attracted to women from all ethnic groups, or at least all the ones I’ve come in contact with so far. Definitely all the ones listed in the study. It’s sad that other people feel this way, but these findings don’t apply to me.

30. Missy says:

Thank you so much for posting all of the statistics! This really puts it in black and white pun intended. People would tell me to “post a personal” as if that would remedy my problem of not having dates. I also live in a VERY RURAL area. I know that men find me attractive. That somehow doesn’t translate into them wanting to date me seriously. Everyone wants to try a scoop of chocolate but none are serious about having a relationship.

These statistics tell me it’s not “me”…….and it isn’t. There are other sites that are more for people who actually WANT interracial relationships. We, Black women need to not feel down. Take it for what it is.

I also live in a VERY rural area. I do not find men to date. I’m not attracted to the average man around here. We just have to have faith and not waiver in what we want!! Don’t settle for spam if what you want is filet mignon.

31. Brian says:

PROGRESSIVE??????? Puuuuhleaaaaase! Race shouldn’t matter but for some it does… does that make them racist..nope.. just like women that have slimmer figures big breasts or some feature get more responses than 400 pound women do. Is that biased or people hate them? Biased yes hate or racist no.

32. Sameer says:

I know many of you take offense to this but you shouldn’t. These are the stats, and honestly they don’t surprise me. Being middle eastern looking (i’m mixed pakistani/indian with light skin) I’ve found that my best chances of getting laid at clubs is with Hispanic women. I stuck to the Hispanic clubs in the Chicago area (club 720), but I also used to score at this polish club a lot (a club where there were mostly polish/European immigrants) and technically the girls there are whilte.

Black girls are the easiest to pick up, me and a friend were walking down town chicago on a Fri night and we picked up two bitches from the sidewalk as they were driving by. As a terrorist-looking SOB I can still pick up these ho’s easily, not just black ho’s but white ho’s are easy too and some of the freakiest. When it comes to settling down the stats as he’s stated here hold true again. White bitches want white guys. For the most part white bitches prefer white dick…everyone know that. Personally my dick is brownish (but I have very light skin) so it turns out that I score more with hispanic women. I guess it really depends on the shade of your dick. Of course there are exceptions. On the bright side though, in the future (few generations) everyone will be so mixed that it won’t matter what your race is.

33. hank says:

….I’ve been on this site for two years…I’m black…..and have never got a reply from black women…..and just a couple of replys

34. Random says:

There is a reason that these are so skewed. I know at least for indians, there are plenty of sites for indians who want indians. As a result, the other indians who want non-indians would use this site. I am not sure how it is for other races, but I am trying to point out that this data may be a little skewed

35. Hashbrown_Joe says:

I love facts! And fact are facts. But I hate when I try to reach out to another race other than my own (blk & wht) and when they don’t message back, all the time I wonder in my head, is this person racist, is my color an issue? I have a suggestion, maybe we all should love with our eye closed, yeap with your eyes closed!

36. Chrisange says:

I make no apologies as a white woman for preferring white males. I have lived in different cultures all over the world and white men have always been prime targets for any female looking for a good and reliable provider and a decent Father for their children
    So why as a white female, or indeed a female of any race should I feel guilty about doing what is best for me
    . Different backgrounds produce different traits. It is these traits we relate to when thinking of a persons ethnicity. We do not make them up just to feel better about who we are but because they have been observed by a lot of people over time.So yes I go for a Westernised man every time
    .Be honest. Have you done a study on the ethnicity of scammers on the site?. How many of them are white males, not that many I’ll bet.

37. Itainteasy says:

I’m glad you guys posted this article. I struggled quite a bit trying to figure out why it’s hard to get responses on this and other dating sites. I’m tall, have a Masters, I’m funny, I like to do a wide variety of activities, I feel like at the very least, i’m average looking. Eventually I came to the conclusion that perhaps if I put a profile picture of a decent looking white man on my page, i’d get more responses. Now i see that i’m right. The “problem”, is that i’m Black… I get so tired of all the wining women do about “wanting a good man” “where are all the good men”, “Why can’t I find a good man” etc. It’s all a bunch of bull, and I wish they would all stfu. Because what they really mean is, “where are all the good WHITE men.” It would be nice if people could be truthful about their priorities instead of wasting time acting perplexed… The reason it’s not working out sweetheart, is because you put the man being white ahead of everything else.

38. matt says:

good news for my asian fetish

39. Kippje says:

lol america is really messed up
    overal its NOT EVERYONE IN AMERICA THAT HAS BEEN QUESTIOND
    I AM A EUROPEAN AND MY PREFERNE IS ASIANGUYS
    THOUGH AS LONG AS HES HOT ID DATE HIM
    WETHER HES BLACK WHITE ASIAN OR ALIEN
    AND COMe oN THere is beauty in all races
    examp: ur white would u rathr stick with a supr ugly white peron than a handsom black/asian or whatever? i dont thin so…its just race
    LET IT GO.

40. Mirrored says:

Imagine a little statistic can open such a huge can of worms? I hope that people REALLY pay attention to these responses because they are saying so much. Guess what people I think Chris may want to rethink the “more educated” assessment of their users. Not because a person may have a degree it does not mean that they are enlightened. Hats off to those persons – like myself – who can look at people and see people – not race.

And as for Sameer who claimed to have picked up so many “hos” and “bitches” I wonder if its because that’s the only type of women you attract? I’m also wondering what those hos and bitches are saying about you now – easy, cheap, small? Just wondering.

Guess what people, there are problems – whether you admit it or not, but the good news is that you can change the man in the mirror if needs be.

41. takeapop says:

Interesting stuff, maybe going off on a tangent here. But even if a couple is interracial, I usually find the ethnic person is alot more attractive than his/her partner. So chances are, for e.g., if you see an ethnic woman on the arm of a white man she will usually be way out his league looks wise. If race truly wasn’t an issue for an interracial couple then this wouldn’t be the common case.

What is up with that?

42. Azi says:

At first glance I look black and most of the guys that write me are white. I try to respond to everyone, it’s just polite. Sometimes I get distracted though and you will find that I stop responding to messages back and forth because I have walked away from the computer or my baby woke up. Those that get all huffy and say things like fine you’re just not interested annoy me and yet I still try to reply.

43. The Questioner says:

I make no apologies as a white woman for preferring white males.

I don’t want apologies, Chrisange. I want you and folks like you to stop making crappy excuses for your racism. If you can’t interrogate your own desires, why try to find a life partner at all?

44. james says:

To Questioner:

Just stfu!

You are a cry baby and a loser who wishes he was white

45. Noelle says:

As a black woman, I notice that the few black male members on this website are matched with me. Those few who are matches with me are rarely online. I found this to be similar on other dating sites in the past. I automatically evaluated my standards, thinking they may be too high. But they’re not! It’s just that the amount of black men on dating websites are scarce and those who are members may not necessarily want to be matched with black women.

46. vakdra says:

This is interesting: so the study shows that the users were equally attractive across races and shows the relative compatibility across races w/ each other but some women and men still have problems getting back replies. If that isn’t subconscious racism, I don’t know what is.

47. Oldskooll says:

@Chrisange……You are a racist, plain and simple.

@Itainteasy….You are absolutely correct and I think you will find my post confirms it….

Now on with my comments….I’m a good looking black male and a member of Cupid and another predominately black dating site. After reading this article, this study confirmed what I had been thinking. If I initiate contact with black women on either site, my response rate is about 80% and that also includes white and hispanic women who are on the black site for obvious reasons… Also my inbox on the black site is generally always getting new messages daily. On the other hand, on OkCupid, if I initiate contact with a white or hispanic female, my response rate is about 10% and my inbox can go for weeks without an unsolicited message…. Not to mention, the number of white/hispanic women that include “must be white/caucasian male” is highly disproportionate to the number of black women that specify black men only. So I’m not implying that white and hispanic women are racist, but they are definitely less open minded and more biased to white men. The numbers don’t lie folks…..

48. Wow! says:

As an educated Black woman who was educated and is now currently living and working in a predominantly middle to upper middle class (and yes white) environment since HS, I’ve often questioned my perception of the preference many (not all) viable/attractive Black men sharing this environment with me, seem to have for women NOT of our race. This article only confirms this very perception. I’m honestly still REELING on the finding that Black men, out of EVERY group listed had the least interest in dating someone of their skin color/ racial background! Not that I’m against dating outside my race. Shit, my last boyfriend I met on OKCupid was White and Japanese! However, in agreement with another comment made earlier, I do believe its normal for people to prefer their own. Unfortunately, in the case of Black women in a similar environment/life situation as mine this option doesn’t seem to be as easily accessible based on an observation that I’ve been making since I started prep school at 13 confirmed by these findings! This has got to be linked to why so many Black women have such a hard time finding partners and building families, as statistically proven so many times through various sociological studies. Not to say Black men not generally preferring Black women in this study is the sole reason for this, but it definitely doesn’t help! I guess that’s why I’m here on OkCupid :)

49. What is your "type"? says:

“The takeaway here is that although race shouldn’t matter in messaging, it does. A lot.”

Of course race matters. It’s like hair color or eye color. Do you like blonde haired people or black haired people? Do you like green eyes or brown eyes? Do you like short or tall people? Do you like older people or younger people?

It’s all about what your type is and what you are attracted to. The people calling other people racists need to mentally evaluated and then sent to a mental institution.

50. Asian Guy says:

Now I know why I haven’t been getting replies… It’s cause I’m an Asian guy and we have no eyes!! *cries* Oh wait, how do I cry with no eyes!!?!? *pouts*