The REAL ‘Stuff White People Like’

September 8th, 2010 by Christian Rudder

What is it that makes a culture unique? How are whites, blacks, Asians, or whoever different from everybody else? What tastes, interests, and concepts define an ethnic group? And is there any way to make fun of other races in public and get away with it?

These are big questions, and here's how we answered them.

We selected 526,000 OkCupid users at random and divided them into groups by their (self-stated) race. We then took all these people's profile essays (280 million words in total!) and isolated the words and phrases that made each racial group's essays statistically distinct from the others'.

For instance, it turns out that all kinds of people list sushi as one of their favorite foods. But Asians are the only group who also list sashimi; it's a racial outlier. Similarly, as we shall see, black people are 20 times more likely than everyone else to mention soul food, whereas no foods are distinct for white people, unless you count diet coke.

Using this kind of analysis, we were able find the interests, hobbies, tastes, and self-descriptions that are specially important to each racial group, as determined by the words of the group itself. The information in this article is not our opinion. It's data, aggregated from the essays of half a million real people.

So here's the real stuff white people like.

Click on the icons to toggle between men/women.

In general, I won't comment too much on these lists, because the whole point of this piece is to let the groups speak for themselves, but I have to say that the mind of the white man is the world's greatest sausagefest. Unless you're counting Queens of the Stone Age, there is not even one vaguely feminine thing on his list, and as far as broad categories go we have: sweaty guitar rock, bro-on-bro comedies, things with engines, and dystopias.

As for the interests of white women, you have romance novels, some country music, and a broad selection of Good Housekeeping type stuff. It's also amazing the extent to which their list shows a pastoral or rural self-mythology: bonfires, boating, horseback riding, thunderstorms. I remind you that OkCupid's user base is almost all in large cities, where to one degree or another, if you find yourself doing much of any of these things, civilization has come to an end.

If I had to choose over-arching themes for white people's lists, for men, I'd go with "frat house" and for women, "escapism." Whether one begot the other is a question I'll leave to the reader.

Stuff black people like.

Hopefully it's been obvious that the font-size of a phrase indicates the relative frequency with which it appears. So, toggling between black men and black women above, you can see that while soul food is important to both, it's really, really important to the women. In fact, soul food and black women is the single strongest phrase/group pair we found.

The above lists also make it clear that, regardless of whether Jesus himself was black, his most vocal followers definitely are. Religious expressions weren't among the top phrases for any of the other races, but they're all over the place for black men and (especially) black women, for whom 13 of the top 50 phrases are religious. Black people are more than twice as likely than average to mention their faith in their profiles.

Finally, it's worth noting that of the four lists we've seen so far, black women's is the only one to explicitly include someone of another race: Justin Timberlake.

Double finally, how bold is it that I am cool is the second most typical phrase for black men?

OkTrends Racial Stereotype #1

In the course of researching this article and, in particular, comparing white guys to black guys, a handy shortcut occurred to me:

If you're trying to figure out if white dudes like something, put fucking in the middle, and say it out loud. If it sounds totally badass, white dudes probably love it. Let's see this principle in practice:

Stuff Latinos like.

Music and dancing—merengue, bachata, reggaeton, salsa—are obviously very important to Latinos of both genders. The men have two other fascinating things going on: an interest in telling you about their sense of humor (i'm a funny guy, very funny, outgoing and funny, etc.) and an interest in industrial strength ass-kicking (mma, ufc, boxing, marines, etc.) Basically, if a Latin dude tells you a joke, you should laugh.

OkTrends Racial Stereotype #2

El chiste de knock-knock:

Latinas' interests are fairly typical for a dating site: you got friends, career, education, movies, music, a few physical details, and, oh yeah...morbid fear. We dug further into I'm terrified of (on their list at #42) and found which words typically came next. It's mostly insects and "the dark", though one expert tautologist is "terrified of being scared" and another woman is "terrified of Martians."

I feel obligated to state, on behalf of white men everywhere: That woman should get a grip. Martians are nothing compared to the Sardaukar.

Stuff Asians like.

As you can see, both Asian men and women choose I'm simple as their go-to self-description. Contrast this to black men's I am cool and Latinos' I'm a funny guy. It's also interesting that Asian men very often mention their specific heritage (taiwan, korea, singapore, vietnam, china) while Asian women don't.

OkTrends Racial Stereotype #3

Combing through these lists, you can see the different ways women use cosmetics:

• White women show off their eyes (mascara is #5 on their list).
  • Black women show off their lips (lip gloss, #7).
  • Latinas show off both (mascara, #18 / lip gloss, #22).
  • Asian women, however, show off their practicality (lip balm, #48).

So far, I've gone through racial groups in order of their prominence on OkCupid. For brevity (I know this is the internet), I'll present the remaining lists without foolish commentary. You can click any of the links to reveal them inline.

Stuff Indians like...
Stuff Middle Easterners like...
Stuff Pacific Islanders like...

Sidenote: reading level

Since we were parsing all this text anyway, we thought it would be cool to do some basic reading-level analysis on what people had written about themselves. We used the Coleman-Liau Index, and when we partitioned the essays by the race of the writers, we found this:

Before anyone gets too charged-up about this, we also ran reading level by religion and found this:

Is there a Comic Sans version of the Bible? There really should be. We subdivided this chart further, by how serious each person was about their beliefs:

Note that for each of the faith-based belief systems I've listed, the people who are the least serious about them write at the highest level. On the other hand, the people who are most serious about not having faith (i.e. the "very serious" agnostics and atheists) score higher than any religious groups.

We'll be revisiting race later this month, with a statistical investigation of interracial dating, and we're almost finished with the article on (bi-)sexuality we promised last time. Thanks for reading, everyone.

Till next time,

923 Responses to “The REAL ‘Stuff White People Like’”

1. Jay says:

Clearly from the white profiles, either OK Cupid is based in Boston, or the profiles used come from the Boston area. That seems like an important distinction. Or maybe not – maybe [Boston Red Sox] can simply be replaced with [any local favorite sports team].

2. Jörg says:

I’m shocked by the “serious Buddhists”‘ reading level. How can someone score good in readability and still be serious about Buddhism?
    I’m absolutely not surprised by the levels of Christians and Atheists however.

3. Mig says:

There are probably few instances when discussing race bares moral value. One of these instances is when dating. But God forbid it is discussed in the work place, or a civil rights rally. Instances of erotica has brought interracial relations to popular culture. This can be noted when white – within hookup scenes – speak openly of how large a black man’s genitalia is. For some black men, it would be a compliment, for other degrading. To simplify your research, you might consider what soulmate does; that is ask specific questions created by their social scientist and recommend how one ought to answer. This way your pool of empirical evidence is more accurate. “Just saying.”

4. Karen says:

According to this, I seem to have nothing in common with my race and gender except a fondness for The Bluest Eye This explains quite a bit. Although most of the guys I’ve dated have been Black, I’ve never been very selective on race. In reviewing your data it looks like I should be seeking out Pacific Islanders, specifically.
    -A laughingly agnostic Black woman

5. Sean Riley says:

I had a thought.

Black women, we know, have the least replies to messages sent.
    We also know that people who are serious about their religion tend to have fewer successes than those “laughing about it”.
    Finally, we know from this that black women are the most passionately pro-Jesus group out there, it would seem.

Is there a correlation between these three facts, OK Trends?

6. Gael says:

The writing proficiency levels shown for Protestant Christians is shocking to me.

I hail from a community that is split two ways regarding Christianity: there are the ones who are either barely serious about their faith or are only Christian in name. The second group are serious (but not fanatical) Christians, most of whom home-school their children for this reason.

The second group, as I said, teach their own children at home with curriculum of their choosing, and take education seriously. In turn, their children learn to take their education seriously. And out of this group, I see young people who graduate from high school and get full scholarships to Belmont University or one of the state’s top private colleges.

Of course, the statistics on this page come from an online dating website, so they really aren’t the best representation of the Christian demographic. I suppose the smarter ones have better things to do than look for boyfriends or girlfriends on the internet.

7. Tetani says:

Filipinos are not Pacific Islanders. Get it right.

8. Nicholas Wright says:

Proud to be bringing the protestant reading level up.

9. james says:

Interesting data. Readers. please note that this information is based on OK Cupid users though. This biases the sample and, therefore, the statistics quoted should not be seen as applicable to the US population at large.

10. Leslie Wilder says:

I did not see results in the Reading and Writing Proficiency level for “Christians”.

Why would that be, except that in the Northeast, Catholics are by far a majority of people, maybe not in their minds, but at the level they profess to attend church on the Holy Days of Obligation, as in the Catholic Religion.
    I did not see just plain “Christians”, as well.
    So, was this pulled from the area around Boston?

11. Mixit says:

Can’t help to feel just one thing about it all:
    what a stupid “research”!
    I hope it was meant as (lame) joke and not a serious research… as it really looks rather unintelligent.

“The REAL ‘Stuff White People Like’”? trying to make few little boxes and squeeze all of similar skin color people into them? It’s just completely banal, narrow-minded and racist, in my opinion. This “research” tells more about you than all those people you try to classify.

It seems you try to show how intelligent or unintelligent different religious, but also racial, groups are (as different religions tend to be more wide spread among specific cultural groups… or skin color groups, as it seems to be insinuated here,) based on their writing (or selection of words, abbreviations, etc) skills.
    How many ‘sophisticated’ words someone uses does not show automatically how intelligent or educated they might be. There are loads of morons out there who have learned wide range of ‘fancy’ words to make their writing/speech look awfully professional and “intelligent”. But when you really look deeper into the general idea they are putting forward, well packaged, they are still complete morons. There are unfortunately quite few bad examples for that among top politicians and business people, etc.
    An educated moron is still a moron, just with fancier vocabulary, and more well hidden lack of intelligence.:)

You’re also forgetting that all those “blacks”/”latinus”/and whatever else skin color groups may have few other languages more familiar to them than English. Their English might not be all that sophisticated, but how would you know how their other language skills are? Many might actually be first generation (Boston) Americans.;)

Bit silly to say that all/majority/many “blacks”/”latinos”/”whites” of certain gender tend to like this or that, when you base research on people who have signed up for a specific dating webpage. Many people would never make that choice of signing up for any of that sort of pages in first place. And as someone mentioned earlier: that page is based in Boston area.
    So your racial profiling is pretty limited there, in more ways than one.

Get around and try to see each person for what he/she is instead. There are plenty of surprises for you out there! Go and visit different countries and stay there for few years to see what people are really like. You might find out that there are as many varieties as there are people.

I’m wondering at the moment why I’m even replying to this silly post… but I guess the racist approach (and I’m sure you cannot even see it) gets to me.
    Learn to live in mixed world without prejudices, racial profiling and classifications, please.

12. Cheers! says:

I am sure many feel the same way, Thomas Blackthorn!
    I’m “white” female and do not fit into that category.

This “research” is just bull.

13. Ben says:

The White sound like total crackers. Everyone sounds boring too, suckers…

14. Nathan Werth says:

I’m surprised so many people are taking offense to the statistics. At no point did the author of the article attempt to mislead anyone. We all know the sample came from dating site profiles. We all know the profiles were chosen at random, and in a fairly large number, so things like age shouldn’t have too much of an effect (assuming the age ranges for OK Cupid profiles are similar across races). The author made no claim that the sample was representative of anything other than the users of OK Cupid. A lot of what you people are arguing is the obvious facts stated in the very beginning. You’ve hardly picked the study apart.

Most of the disagreeing comments seem to be either “I don’t like the results and the conclusions I think people will use them to reach,” or “I’m not the norm! I’m a black chick who rocks out to heavy metal and watches French films! Look at me!” For goodness’ sake, this is a study that, while done in a very scientific manner, isn’t meant for academic research. It’s meant to be fun things to do for the nerds running the site, and fun reading for the nerds using the site.

15. pants says:

Gosh, I never knew people could be so offended by statistical analyses!

As far as ‘Stuff White People Like’, I’m pretty sure that is referring to a blog by the same name that makes jokes about what white people like based entirely on stereotypes (and not statistical analyses).

Also, I find the majority of the comments to be far more biased and racist than the article and it makes me sigh.

16. Jim Halpert says:

Why is the next blog entry taking so long?

17. Mike Axinn says:

“Finally, it’s worth noting that of the four lists we’ve seen so far, black women’s is the only one to explicitly include someone of another race: Justin Timberlake.”

Nice work, but didn’t Malcolm Gladwell show up in the Asian category?

18. Fruction says:

One quick question about the OK trends: What is the men/women balance on OKC?
    This may be an interesting data to get for anyone who wants to understand those trends.

19. Hot Glass Artist says:

I think these stats are right on the money. Though I am put off by the comments by Jorg on Buddhism. Are you serious? Do you know that Buddhism is a ‘religion’ that requires one to STUDY and LEARN-not just ‘be saved’ (Christians have an incredibly lazy and enabling faith).

I am not surprised at all by the results. When you have to try harder due to race or circumstances you just wind up smarter and better balanced as a person. Christian faiths-all of them-make it too easy and give a feeling of entitlement and an attitude of being ‘better’ than non-followers. But then many religions do that-but not Buddhism, for one.

On another note I have to mention that I am ECSTATIC by the results of the ‘what white people like’ study. I am so 180 degrees different from most men of my race that it gets noticed. Quite a bit to be honest.

Viva la deference!!

20. Whitney says:

Where are the American Indians/Aboriginals?

21. Kate says:

OK, now lets do the same thing only with sexual orientation. Political parties would be interesting also.

22. Jeff says:

OMG, my parents lied to me…they told me I’m white, but according to this I’m really black, asian, latino!

Uh, oops…no, I’m a white and Gay. It makes the world of difference. :)

23. Mel says:

Remember, just bc u write on an 8th grade level, doesnt mean your dumb!

When I write casually, I write simply. WHen I write for work, I actually use spell check and multi-syllable words.

If anything, it shows ur laid back if u write on a lower reading level, not that ur not smart!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Eileen says:

Two comments:

1. In data interpretation I think it would be better to approach this analysis as the stuff that people of different groups TALK about rather than what they LIKE. (I realize that the title of the post refers to the internet meme with the same phrase, however.)

Here’s why: My experience as an OKCupid user is that the note ‘I think you both like [X topic]‘ can appear if we both simply mention the word. For example, even if one of us says that we are a die-hard dancer and the other says that they couldn’t dance to save their life, both of us may pop up as ‘liking’ dancing.

2. I would be intrigued to compare these topics that DISTINGUISH different groups of OKCupid users with the topics that are COMMON across groups of OKCupid users. Which topics show no differences across race or sexual orientation? How frequent are those topics relative to the topics that are outliers within a group? Basically, what makes us the same, and how similar are we to each other?

My apologies if my comment is redundant with previous posts; there are a few too many pages at this point for me to check all of them!

25. lillith665 says:

Hmm…I’m half Italian, love Lady Day, Alicia Keys, Norah Jones, and Tori Amos (and that’s just one facet of my music preferences, btw). I love phó. I loathe NASCAR and most country music. I do still love horses. I cook up some awesome jambalaya and greens, as well as lasagna, beef roulladen with knoedel and blaukraut, and anything tikka masala with saffron-caraway basmati. I read sci fi/fantasy, philosophy, and ecclectic religious and mythological texts. I believe in sciences gods but not religion. I’m fanatical of all things botanical. I’m sort of booksmart but not terribly social-pecking-order-savvy.

What the hell does that make me? ‘Cause apparently, I’m not white.

26. johnny says:

So just about all blacks are protestants.

And just about all latinos are catholic or protestant.

And protestants and catholics have the lowest reading and writing levels. Hmmmmmm, I wonder why?? What a mystery.

Can we create a separate category of white protestants and catholics and put out a new graph.

27. RottenToast says:

Love this blog. Will never leave another comment besides this one. Our math and science are really quite shitty in America. 500,000 data points, and, yet, so many idiots present their anecdotal first-person circumstances as evidence to counter what are pretty hard statistics. “I’m black, and I don’t talk a lot”. “I’m a white woman, and I love Middle Eastern men!” “All the Buddhists I know are idiots!”

It’s interesting to learn how you’re like “the norm” and how you differ. It can help you identify yourself. Nothing wrong with being outside the norm. But it’s fucking statistics; there’s got to be norms. This blog tells us what they are.

Have fun, kiddos!

28. SJ says:

and if your white and not american?

29. Sara says:

Haha thanks this was fun to read. Loved reading all the comments too. The angry ones. Te retaliatory ones. The ones I agreed with. The ones I didn’t agree with. The ones i halfway agreed with. The ones i quarter agreed with.

30. diddle says:

these results are really misleading. it’s being presented as: if you’re , then you are likely into , when the data is actually showing: if you are into then you are likely … big difference.

31. Jae says:

I would like to point out, on the subject of Mascara, that white women are the only ones who are likely to have blond eye lashes. And that is likely why they most prefer mascara.

32. MyLittleEye says:

All these likes come over as quite stereotypically North American (of course!!).
    By contrast, my personal, albeit very subjective observations of single UK women’s tastes across all races would probably highlight: Amelie, Haruki Murakami, Sofa, and a nice bottle of wine…
    Even so, all this makes for fascinating reading.
    How about some stats for Europe and the rest of the World?

33. andersonfire says:

I started laughing by the time I got to ‘Freakonomics’ on the Asian column.
    Oh, it feels good to be a stereotype today…

34. Phil says:

There is a big difference between “Writing Proficiency” and “Writing Style”.
    One is an ability, and one is (hopefully, on here at least) a choice.

OkCupid chose to insert their own bias, by claiming low “proficiency” for Christians.
    I’m a Christian, I got 750 on my English SAT. However, I *choose* to write my profile fairly simply, because I want to have a relationship with someone that values openness and honesty.
    Fancy writing gets in the way of that.

35. lizliew says:

well done! was the age group mentioned though? a good school project to do..

36. white-catholic-female-teenager says:

First, I’d like to point out that I am fifteen years old.

Most of the comments have already mentioned what I would’ve said. Specifically Phil’s response. Not to be snotty, but I’m number one in my grade (which almost never really says anything about a person’s intellect, but in this case, does) and yet, I don’t feel any need at all to use any sort of elaborate vocabulary, just to get my point across. From personal experience and known stereotypical truths, I’d like to point out that it’s not uncommon to see black people use extra-fancy, often misused, words when trying to stand out. Stereotypically.

Also, I think you’re seriously missing an important dimension of character– happiness. Someone who leads a generally miserable lifestyle, to any degree, whether they’re aware of it or not, is gonna be the one who attempts to stand out with things like “impressive” writing. Someone who is happier is less likely to be dishonest in proficiency. Namely, use silly words left and right. Using that bit of information I’ve gathered through my thus-far short time in society, I’d like to relate to the statistics on religion/writing proficiency. Any relations? It’s no surprise that atheists are the highest on the graph. Serious atheists. Ever met one? I dunno about you, but they make my head spin, with their level of in-your-faceness. What else can you expect from a religion so deprived of love?

It’s very obvious that this is an entirely biased gathering of statistics. The author couldn’t make that clear enough. Through this blog, I’ve learned about a hundred times more about the author than I did about race.

I usually refrain from calling things “racist,” but this is just another typical example of hatred for the white-christian race. Imagine if blacks or muslims were put in a bad light! THAT would be bad, ohhhh hoh hoh. But whites and Christians? Oh, sure, no problem. That’s what they deserve, those rotten, capitalist bigots.

It’s also fascinating, the level of nationalism around the world, and even within different sections of the country. Why is it that someone raised in an urban setting (cough cough Boston cough) is more likely to rail on their own American heritage than someone who’s lived in Oklahoma all their life? Personally, I’m from New York, and I can attest to that.

Most of my personal statistics are based on observation. Being younger, catholic, and white, I almost never am agreed with. At least I’m not male, those men are so often attacked by the females…. Anyways. Yup, your data is flawed. Too many variables.

37. MInTheGap says:

The question is always the data… Knowing that the data comes from a group of people that are looking for love through this specific website, then you understand that this sample *may* not be representative as the group as a whole… Especially if you consider that there may be different sites that cater to some groups better than others.

While the post lists the total number of profiles, it does not specify the breakdown of each group it lists.

38. Al says:

For G-d’s sake, date your own religion. Most of the hatred comes from one religion dating another.

39. David says:

The “statistic” on writing proficiency is to be taken with a big salt of grain.

But since languages have different standards for how complex a sentence needs to be, all we are seeing in this statistic is how complex the mother language of the tested people is. Apples and oranges are being compared here.

If your mother language is Spanish, then you’re used to simpler sentence constructions than if your mother language is, say, German, or French, or (apparently) Hindu. English is a language with rather simple sentence construction too.

But speaking Spanish does not make you stupid, just like speaking Hindu does not make you smarter than the average person. There are enough Literature Nobel Prize winners from Spain and Latin America to testify to that :)

The graphic about the writing proficiency of different religious groups makes more sense since it does not directly compare groups that have different mother languages. Also I tend to smile at the results – stupid people believe harded in theiur religion, unless they’re agnostics or atheists? Yeah I can see where that is coming from :)

40. Luis says:

You say Queens Of The Stone Age were the only comment that reflected femininity in the white man’s interest. Did you mean because of the word Queen??

Because they are just another rock band. Very white indeed, don’t know too many black people but have been to a few QOTSA gigs and havent seen too many black people there.

41. Some people are retarded says:

It’s so funny when people take these statistics so seriously. It’s all based on people on this ONE website people! Not the national average. What’s wrong with you? Can’t you read? It’s racist, it’s biased, it’s flawed, blah blah blah, shut up geez you’re so annoying! This is meant to be a light hearted, fun and interesting thing to read. It’s not meant to be published in fucking Newsweek. But then again, the one’s complaining are probably the over religious one’s that are pictured to be less intelligent than the rest. And, yes, this was VERY interesting to read, thanks for posting!

42. MsSmily says:

Come on people, this is only based on select words & phrases that we may coses to include in writing our profiles. This is just to see similarities vs differences among people. I know that I have never been in the norm. I’m “special” can’t be pigeon-holed. By observation, I do find that black & hispanics tend to talk more about their faith (I’m white) & inadvertantly talk about God & my faith without intending to preach to the masses. I love ethnic food & appreciate the diversity we have here in America. I love living in a college town, because we have people from all over the world living here. I’m sure answers would be different in some areas. I don’t chose me friends by the color of their skin.

43. pipi says:

I now see why you guys don’t give a damn about users’ needs on your site. You have too much fun analyzing your data. One day you may even get a Nobel prize in whatever. But at least now I am no longer that fucking angry at you guys. You have fun, have a sense of humour (gills growing on Chinese babies) and who gives a damn about users anyway. The more damn a website owner gives about users and their plight, the more sadistic the owner tends to be. Look at PoF — those guys froth at the mouth if you make a joke or if you don’t memorize their long, incomprehensibly written, stupendously stupid, and soul-trifling rules.

44. Emonies says:

“a pastoral or rural self-mythology…horseback riding…I remind you that OkCupid’s user base is almost all in large cities, where to one degree or another, if you find yourself doing much of any of these things, civilization has come to an end.” I have always lived in a major city, I have always ridden horses, and I have always stabled my horses in the city or in a very near suburb of the city. I think most competitive equestrians reside in cities and almost none reside in rural areas because of the disparity in income and wealth. I think it’s ignorant, un-researched, sexist, offensive and naive to women as painting “a pastoral or rural self-mythology” just because they live in a city.

Stretch your brain a tiny bit more next time.

45. Lepidium says:

Ok- so are we discrediting the fact that Nina Simone, Alicia Keys, Anthony Bourdain and Jason Mraz (blech) are all mentioned outside of their races, explicitly?

Also-being that the site is made up mostly of Northeastern, white females- you’re going to see the red sox a bit (we call them pink shirts in Boston and I hate them). Boston has a high percentage of white females in itself because we have these things called colleges…and a lot of them (statistically- that’s who is attending them- so get off my back before you throw a race card at me).

Please also note that Latinas mention the Yankees. Again, Latinas have a higher population in the New York/CT area.

I’m just glad to see that as a white, eastern Massachusetts native, female who ranks high on the intelligence factor- I have more in common with black men (go celtics).

46. Jay says:

Kinda neat to read… However you should change the term “race” to “ethnicity.” There is no such thing as “race.”

47. Ian Molton says:

I wish the populations of europe and North America would be considered seperately in stuff like this.

Men in the UK and US are quite different in a lot of ways.

The (apparent) prevalence of US data suggests that the results may hold little significance for me.

48. datanggou says:

I think the tricky part is how people see how committed they are to their religion. I have my masters and I teach the Bible at church. However, when I put down my religion part, I feel like it’s too much to regard myself as very serious. I put down somewhat. Further more, more educated people also don’t like to use slogans to represent their faith, making them appear less devoted. I, for one, don’t like to sound too serious in my writing. So I write whatever on my mind instead of trying to turn my profile in an essay. I don’t know if you notice, people who flaunt usually don’t have it. People who don’t flaunt go into 2 categories: they don’t care to flaunt it cus they believe in humility, or they don’t have it.

In short, things are not always what they seem.

49. Tracy says:

Totally agreed. Christianity teaches humility and honesty.
    We rely on God, not our smarts. But it doesn’t mean we don’t have it. We just much rather come across more sincere and not spend time trying to look cool or smart. It’s not a college essay.

As much I appreciate smarts, I can’t stand people who throw in a smart pun or funny line every other sentence. We get it! You’re the man. You’re cool. You’re the smartest man that ever lived and still manage to have nonchalant charm without trying. But we all know you’re trying. Because you’re just a person like the rest of us.

All I’ve got to say is: let’s face it. We’re people and we’re all gonna die. Just be real.

50. Melynda says:

As a half-Thai Buddhist who always tested at a level 3-5 years higher than her peers in Literature and English, I say: “Viva!”

Additionally, I would like to note that yes, Buddhism is a philosophy/religion whose sole purpose is for the individual to seek enlightenment through self study and the study of the world/its moving parts, so I am not very shocked. The belief system is rooted in finding the “why” and “how” behind everything.

VEEErrrryyyy… -INTeresting.